Postcard From Sydney

DawnOverHarborBridge
Dawn Over Sydney Harbour Bridge

Having left Seattle on a cold, wet, November day we felt our spirits lift as we walked out of Sydney Airport into the bright sunshine. My boys, nine and 13, were brimming with excitement from having flown on Qantas’ new A380 – especially since the cabin crew had given them a cockpit tour. It was an auspicious start to what would be a fun-filled ten days in Sydney.

Sydney is a fantastic vacation destination spot for families. There is so much to see and do in the city and then, when you’ve had enough of sightseeing and you feel like relaxing there’s an abundance of great beaches to choose from, all easily accessible from the downtown core – known as the Central Business District. But the high points of our visit were two activities arranged for us by Virtuoso’s partner Tourism New South Wales.

lets-go-surfing-bondi
Learn To Surf With Let’s Go Surfing

I contacted the folks at the Tourism NSW office in Los Angeles before our trip and explained to them that I during my visit to Sydney I would be a solo-traveling parent with two tween boys. I asked for suggestions for activites for children in that age group who might, realistically, be too old for checking out the koalas at the zoo. From the long list of great ideas they provided, I selected two things: a surfing lesson with Let’s Go Surfing on Bondi Beach and a photography tour of The Rocks with Sydney Photography Tours. Both activities were a resounding success particularly because I’m not sure I would have even considered doing either if Tourism NSW hadn’t brought them to my attention.

If it had been possible, I think my younger son would have abandoned all other activities and just spent the rest of our vacation perfecting his surfing skills with the friendly and professional instructors at Let’s Go Surfing. It will take a while for my older son to work through all the digital photography tips, tricks and techniques shown to us by photographer Alfonso Calero on the photography tour.

Thanks to Tourism NSW for suggesting and organizing these fun experiences for me and my children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2018 Travel and Blogging Recap

Ski trips threatened by poor snowfall in Alps

Eger and the Valley of the Beautiful Women